10 Super Simple Morning Workout HacksApr 13, 2021
Morning exercise is a great way to increase your productivity, energy and get in that important “Me Time” before getting busy and distracted by your day.
If you’re not a morning person, it’s easy to hit the snooze button in lieu of working up a sweat. But, if you want to change up your routine and give it a go (as the Brits say), here are some great morning workout hacks to get you up and moving.
10 Super Simple Morning Workout Hacks:
1. Get Enough Sleep
Sounds obvious, but it’a true. It’s easier to get up early if you get the recommended 7-9 hours of sleep each night.
A few tips to optimize your sleep:
- Keep your (bedroom) cool. Optimal temperature for sleep is between 60 and 67 degrees.
- Limit the light in your bedroom. Keep lights low before bed, power off electronics a half-hour before turning in, and block outside light with blackout curtains or a sleep mask.
- Invest in comfortable bedding. You may even reconsider upgrading your pillows and mattress to make sure you’re sleeping in optimal comfort.
- Create a wind-down routine to tell your brain it’s time for sleep - drink a hot cup of herbal tea, curl up with a good book, meditate or listen to calming music.
- Gradually make your bedtime earlier by 10 minutes each night. Your body will grow accustomed to going to sleep earlier, so you can wake up earlier.
2. Lay out your Exercise Clothes the night before
Set your clothes by your bed, so when you open your eyes in the morning it will send a signal to your brain that it’s time to work out.
3. Put your Alarm out of reach
Make it hard to reach for the snooze button by setting your alarm across the room so you’ll be forced to get up out of bed to shut it off. Then, don’t go back to bed!
4. Set the Timer on Your Coffee Maker to go off at a specific time
Nothing signals “Good Morning” like the smell of fresh-brewed coffee - giving you another incentive to get up and get to your workout. Plus, coffee actually can help you work harder and burn more fat.
5. Sniff Peppermint Oil
Research shows that a whiff of peppermint essential oil can increase alertness, which can help you get pumped up to crush your workout routine. (I keep a bottle at my desk to help me focus.)
7. Drink Up
Dehydration can have a huge effect on your workouts. You are dehydrated when you wake up, so try to drink 16 ounces of plain water drinking water to jump-start your body — even before your coffee! If you hate plain water, squeeze in some some lemon juice for a little flavor.
8. Keep yourself Accountable with a Workout Buddy
Talking yourself out of a work out is easy; making an excuse to someone else is another story. Accountability is Key. Not only will it keep you from canceling, but working out with a friend (even virtually!) can help you push yourself harder.
Don’t have a workout buddy? Recruit a friend online, check in with your Coach (that would be me!), or connect with our FB Community to help you stick to your goals.
9. Download a Pumped-Up Playlist
Create a “wake-up” list of energizing songs to get you motivated to move. Research shows that music can increase your energy, endurance and reduce the perception of effort - meaning you’ll workout harder without feeling like you are.
10. Work Out at Home
Your morning time is especially valuable. Home workouts eliminate, travel time, traffic and the crunch of an hour long workout on top of that. Dedicate a space at home for your workouts.
The BolderBARRE/Living Bolder On-Demand Studio had hundreds of fun, smartly-designed and effective workouts you can access on your phone, iPad, computer, or TV. Choose from a variety of formats, and if you’re short on time, many workouts are 30 minutes or less.